|Repose (Re*pose") (r?-p?z") v. t.
[imp. & p. p. Reposed (-p?zd"); p. pr. & vb. n. Reposing.]
[F. reposer; L. pref. re- re- + pausare to pause. See Pause, Pose, v.]
1. To cause to stop or to rest after motion; hence, to deposit; to lay down; to lodge; to reposit. [Obs.] "But these thy fortunes let us straight repose In this divine cave's bosom." Chapman. "Pebbles reposed in those cliffs amongst the earth . . . are left behind." Woodward.
2. To lay at rest; to cause to be calm or quiet; to compose; to rest, -- often reflexive; as, to repose one's self on a couch. "All being settled and reposed, the lord archibishop did present his majesty to the lords and commons." Fuller. "After the toil of battle to repose Your wearied virtue." Milton.
3. To place, have, or rest; to set; to intrust. "The king reposeth all his confidence in thee." Shak.
Repose (Re*pose"), v. i.
1. To lie at rest; to rest. "Within a thicket I reposed." Chapman.
2. Figuratively, to remain or abide restfully without anxiety or alarms. "It is upon these that the soul may repose." I. Taylor.
3. To lie; to be supported; as, trap reposing on sand.
Synonyms -- To lie; recline; couch; rest; sleep; settle; lodge; abide.
Repose (Re*pose"), n.
[F. repos. See Repose, v.]
1. A lying at rest; sleep; rest; quiet. "Shake off the golden slumber of repose." Shak.
2. Rest of mind; tranquillity; freedom from uneasiness; also, a composed manner or deportment.
3. (Poetic) A rest; a pause.
4. (Fine Arts) That harmony or moderation which affords rest for the eue; -- opposed to the scattering and division of a subject into too many unconnected parts, and also to anything which is overstrained; as, a painting may want repose.
-- Angle of repose (Physics), the inclination of a plane at which a body placed on the plane would remain at rest, or if in motion would roll or side down with uniform velocity; the angle at which the various kinds of earth will stand when abandoned to themselves.
Synonyms -- Rest; recumbency; reclination; ease; quiet; quietness; tranquillity; peace.
Authors Encyclopedia | Encyclopedia of the Self
Classical Authors Index | Classical Authors Directory | Classical Authors Library
Emotional Literacy Education | The Old Man of the Holy Mountain | Classical Authors Forums
Visitor Agreement | Copyright c 1999 - 2001 Mark Zimmerman. All Rights Reserved.