|Quiet (Qui"et) (?), a.
[Compar. Quieter (?); superl. Quietest.]
[L. quietus, p. p. pf quiescere to rest, keep quiet; akin to quies rest, and prob. to E. while, n. See While, and cf. Coy, a., Quiesce, Quietus, Quit, a., Quite, Requiem.]
1. In a state of rest or calm; without stir, motion, or agitation; still; as, a quiet sea; quiet air. "They . . . were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him." Judg. xvi. 2.
2. Free from noise or disturbance; hushed; still.
3. Not excited or anxious; calm; peaceful; placid; settled; as, a quiet life; a quiet conscience. " So quiet and so sweet a style." Shak. "That son, who on the quiet state of man Such trouble brought." Milton.
4. Not giving offense; not exciting disorder or trouble; not turbulent; gentle; mild; meek; contented. "The ornament of a meek and quiet spirit." 1 Pet. iii. 4. "I will sit as quiet as a lamb." Shak.
5. Not showy; not such as to attract attention; undemonstrative; as, a quiet dress; quiet colors; a quiet movement.
Synonyms -- Still; tranquil; calm; unruffled; smooth; unmolested; undisturbed; placid; peaceful; mild; peaceable; meek; contented.
Quiet (Qui"et) (?) n.
[L. quies, -etis. See Quiet, a.]
1. The quality or state of being quiet, or in repose; as an hour or a time of quiet.
2. Freedom from disturbance, noise, or alarm; stillness; tranquillity; peace; security. "And join with thee, calm Peace and Quiet." Milton.
-- At quiet, still; peaceful.
-- In quiet, quietly. " I will depart in quiet." Shak.
-- Out of quiet, disturbed; restless. [Obs.] "She is much out of quiet." Shak.
Quiet (Qui"et), v. t.
[imp. & p. p. Quieted; p. pr. & vb. n. Quieting.]
1. To stop motion in; to still; to reduce to a state of rest, or of silence.
2. To calm; to appease; to pacify; to lull; to allay; to tranquillize; as, to quiet the passions; to quiet clamors or disorders; to quiet pain or grief. "Quiet yourselves, I pray, and be at peace." Shak.
Quiet (Qui"et), v. i.
To become still, silent, or calm; -- often with down; as, be soon quieted down.
Authors Encyclopedia | Encyclopedia of the Self
Classical Authors Index | Classical Authors Directory | Classical Authors Library
Emotional Literacy Education | The Old Man of the Holy Mountain | Classical Authors Forums
Visitor Agreement | Copyright c 1999 - 2001 Mark Zimmerman. All Rights Reserved.